Thursday 3 May 2012

I am not getting a job in the field of my education. What should I do?

CLIENT QUESTION:
I have finished university and am looking for a job in my field but I get knocked back as I don't have experience in the industry. How am I suppose to have experience when they don't give me a job? What should I do?

OUR ANSWER:
The first thing you should do is accept responsibility. The fact that you don't have any experience in your industry is not the fault of the person knocking you back but yours for not having accumulated experience along the way. You are not the first and wont be the last person who gets this response from potential employers. Most of us would go through the same experience and the fact that there are lots of people out there who are working in their industry of study is a testimony to the fact that people have been able to break through the barrier.

As cliche as it sounds, the second thing you need to do is work harder and smarter to get that first job in the industry of your education. Remember "It's not where you start that matters, but where you end". So stop complaining and feeling sorry for yourself and start networking with the people in your field.

ANSWERED BY SURESH RAJANI
Suresh Rajani is the Business Leader at Tax First - an accounting and business advisory firm located in Wayville, South Australia.

No comments:

Post a Comment